Thursday, May 6, 2010

You Only Know Yourself

The other day I had a not to pleasant reminder that "You Only Know Yourself". The situation is that I went to the ER with a certain complaint. It was a rather serious complaint. After spending a day in the hospital I was accused of making the whole thing up.

This caused me to take pause. You know in life we entrust our well being to many different people, doctors, therapists, etc. We operate on the assumption that they know what is best for us and we should trust them explicitly. After all they are the experts. I came to realize that they do not know everything. A lot of times when they cannot understand something they do not recognize that they do not know and do not seek to find an acceptable explanation. In this case they conveniently ignored an very obvious cause, because it did not fit what their assumption was, and instead blamed the patient for "making the whole thing up."

I learned the hard way. You know your own body better than any doctor will know or cares to even to bother to know. When you know something is wrong. Fight for it. Do not let anyone try to tell you that what you are feeling is not real. It is not their body so what is it to them. Stay strong do not give up.

3 comments:

  1. Fight for it!! Fight for us!! That's what I am praying on. That he will indeed feel his feelings towards me and stay strong in the face of his family. How can a father and a sister be so steadfast in their narrow mindedness that they cannot see their son's/brother's happiness???? How can they judge what is best for him without even meeting me???? I will stay strong and not give up.......Thanks for letting me have a voice and feel what I am feeling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, 2 messages - this is Alex - Get a Life - speaking:

    Hammad, I agree to an extent that you know what you're feeling but doctors are the experts and in the VAST majority of the time, they know what they're talking about very well. Perfect example. I have met many a hypochondriac in my lifetime. Thank heavens for doctors letting them know they're ok. I'm not saying you're a hypochondriac - but you do tend to form opinions based on generalities or things you personally believe in and you tend to shut out any other explanation. Heavens forbid anyone disagrees. I am saying this because I care. Listen to your doctor and get a second/third opinion to be sure. That's a good balance and will help ensure maximum benefit to your well-being. Do you get that? I'm saying this because I see your suffering and I want you to get better.

    Micheale, what you just described is the one of the oldest and longest-standing issues with relationships and conflict. How many marriages have been affected by family and in-laws getting in bed with the couple? Man and woman have a fight. One of them tells his/her family. The feedback starts pouring in. Resentment comes up out of nowhere and acts as a wedge in the relationship. Here's what there is to get. Recognize that there are 2 things going on. First, the guy's dad/sister are chiming in with their feedback and it causes whatever it does with your man friend. Secondly, you're perceiving whatever is going on as a great threat. You're making into a huge, unsurpassable barrier. Sometimes, all you have to do is separate the facts (what actually takes place) from your interpretation or how they make you feel. For example, a fact can be that my friend's mom told him not to hang out with me. I can go on to interpret that she doesn't like me. She doesn't like my family, my upbringing. Who the hell is she to judge? What a bitch! You see, I took a simple fact and made up an entire story around it. If you separate fact from interpretation, you'll find that you have a great deal of power and freedom to deal with any circumstance in your life.

    Both of you, thank you for sharing. Now go get a life! I love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a Life. I agree with you in general. But there are specific cases where doctors are wrong. They are not infallible. In my case I suffered for hours without relief. They were ER doctors so they did not understand the complexities of what I was going through. I was persistent and talked to a specialist who immediately agreed with what I was telling the ER doctors all along. So again you know your own body and have to be persistent. For me this meant talking to a specialist who actually knew what they were talking about. This is what I was saying. Again in general you should listen to your doctors but keep in mind that sometimes you have to confer with specialists and other doctors.

    ReplyDelete